This spring WP students in grades 3 through 5 will take the Smarter Balanced Assessments in Language Arts and Math.
Computer-based testing provides students with a variety of innovative formats, tools, and accessibility options. These options include the following:
- All testing is administered using a secure online assessment system that includes a variety of tools and technology enhanced test questions that will improve the assessment experience for our students.
- Foremost among the new technologies is Computer Adaptive Testing or CAT. CAT selects a unique set of test questions for each student that will produce very precise results in less time than the last generation of pencil and paper tests.
- In addition to the CAT portion of the test, students will also participate in a hands-on, minds-on performance task that permits students to use their skills on an authentic and engaging challenge.
- The assessment also includes an array of embedded accessibility tools for special populations – features such as read aloud, color and contrast choices, expandable reading passages, key word translation glossaries, American Sign Language translation, Braille, and many other tools.
- Because the test is administered on a computer, student results will be returned to schools quicker than a pencil and paper test.